Welcome to the Dalkeith Primary School library. Our library was renovated in 2014, with new décor and fantastic shelving to help make reading and using the library much more enjoyable. It is a bright, well resourced, busy place, staffed on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, and used by students and staff for library time, Japanese lessons, small group work, STEM, Clubs, lunchtime games, research and meetings.
We have a fantastic range of fiction and non-fiction books, Lexile Collection, magazines, graphic novels, literary rich text, and historical fiction available for students to borrow. All children across the school, from Pre-primary to Year 6 are able to borrow books for a week at a time. Children can change their books more frequently if they prefer. Pre-primary to Year 6 can borrow 2 books per week. We also have a Young Adult section for Year 6. Please make sure your child has a sturdy library bag to protect their books. These are available from the Uniform Shop.
Monday and Thursday lunchtimes are noisy and busy, as children are able to come into the library to read, play board games, chess, cards, draw, colour-in, or just chat.
Book Week is celebrated in Term 3. In the past we have had a whole day of activities, performances, author talks and poetry.
Parents are always welcome to visit the library; we are always open to volunteers to help shelve books or assist in covering new books. Volunteers are important in helping the library function smoothly. Please pop in to see how you can help.
SCHOLASTIC BOOK CLUB
Dalkeith Primary School participates in the Scholastic Book Club. Catalogues are distributed to the students about 8 times a year. This is a great way to purchase books for your child and earn points for our school, which are used to obtain books for the library. No cash payments or paper orders please. Please use LOOP on scholastic website.
Any orders placed after the closing date and time will be charged $4.99 for home delivery.
If you wish to order from an issue, please follow the listed procedures:
- Log-in to www.scholastic.com.au/LOOP or download the NEW iPhone and iPad app from the App Store!For a quick start, just click on ORDER in the top menu or REGISTER first to save your details for next time.
- Select your school and your child’s class.
- Add your child’s first name and last initial (so the school knows who the book is for) i.e. John S.
- Enter the item number from the Book Club brochure.
- You can order for multiple children at once if they attend the same school.
- All orders are linked directly to the school for submission to Scholastic. Books will still be delivered to your child’s classroom if you order by the close date.
Do not return paper order forms, cash or payment receipt details to your school!
- No late orders will be accepted. If you order after the due date you will need to pay a delivery fee to have the order delivered to your home.
- For a quick how-to-order video, log-in to www.scholastic.com.au/LOOP and click on HELP in the top menu.
Please feel free to come and see Jane in the Library if you have any queries.
Please take a look at home to see if you have any DPS library books,
check everywhere. We have many books missing and would love them back.
Check out our New Books display at the back of the Library.
These books are not for loan, once they have been added to the collection you can borrow them. We leave them on display for a few weeks for everyone to see what is new. You
can complete a “Don’t forget bookmark” as a reminder to find it on your next visit.
DRAWING CLUB AND HALLOWEEN
Parents are very welcome to visit the library and borrow.
We now have a small parent corner just for you. If you would like to borrow from us please call in Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday and we can sign you up.
Also Parents now have a BOOK SWAP section, you can add to shelf and borrow, please complete the sheet provided.
LUNCH TIME IN THE LIBRARY
Join us in your lunch break Monday and Thursday, lots to do:
Enjoy peace and quiet.
Please leave the library clean and tidy.