Learning an instrument at Dalkeith: The SIM Program
The School of Instrumental Music (SIM) runs the instrumental program at Dalkeith Primary School. This is an external school that provides free instrumental lessons to selected students in over 400 primary and secondary schools across Western Australia. At Dalkeith we currently offer tuition in violin, viola, cello, flute, brass (trumpet and trombone), and double bass.
Intake Years and Places
Intake is year-level specific, and our positions for 2019 are as follows:
Year 3 Violin (4 places) and Viola (4 places)
Year 4 Cello (3 places)
Year 5 Flute (5 places) and Brass (5 places)
Year 6 Double Bass (2 places)
Selection for places in the SIM program is currently underway. Places in the SIM program are limited and students are selected based on:
- Results of a musical aptitude test
- Interest in learning an instrument
- Physical suitability to play an instrument
- Musical ability demonstrated in class
- Ability to catch up on missed class work
- Parent commitment and support
Expectations of the program
The SIM program is a fantastic opportunity for students who are able to commit themselves to developing their skills in playing a musical instrument.
- Spaces in the program are limited, and many students who would like to learn one of the instruments unfortunately miss out. Once a student accepts a place it is expected that they remain in the program until they leave Dalkeith Primary School.
- Lessons occur during class time depending on the instrumental teacher’s schedule. Some instrumental teachers at Dalkeith are co-ordinating over ten schools. Therefore, it is not possible to arrange instrumental lessons around other school subjects.
- Students will be required to do additional practise outside their lesson time, which will be set by the individual instrumental teacher. SIM lessons are group lessons and it is important that all students commit to practising, as it will impact other students if they do not.
- Students may only learn one instrument in the SIM program. For example if a student accepts an offer in year three for violin, they are not allowed to change to another instrument in year 4 or 6.
Hiring / buying instruments
Students learning the violin are required to supply their own instrument from the start of the program.
Students learning the cello, flute, trumpet, trombone or double bass will be able to hire an instrument in their first year of tuition. (Two years of hire is available for cello students). This is for a fee of $110 paid to the Dalkeith front office.
More information can be located on the SIM website: http://det.wa.edu.au/imss/detcms/portal/